FCVC Competitive Teams
The competitive indoor season runs from tryouts in September through to the Ontario Volleyball Association (OVA) Provincial Championships in April, with regular OVA tournament play starting in November. Teams may choose to extend their season into May to attend the Volleyball Canada National Championships or other US Competitions.
Teams typically compete in 1-2 tournaments per month, from November through March, culminating in the OVA Provincial Championships in April or, potentially, the National Championships in May. All OVA tournaments will be completed in one or two days on either a Saturday and/or a Sunday. For the 2019-2020 season, OVA Provincial Championships will run over three days of competition for each age level, in April, and hosted at the EnerCare Centre in Toronto, Ontario.
The Head Coach for each team will provide parents with an outline of the planned competitive schedule and preliminary team budget at tryouts.
Teams train 2-3 times a week, with sessions running from 90-120 minutes in length. FCVC also provides occasional extra training opportunities such as clinics where guest coaches will offer training on a particular technical skills or player positions.
Teams at FCVC have excellent practice facilities at Fanshawe College and various Secondary and Elementary schools in London, each stocked with all the necessary equipment to ensure an outstanding training environment. Regular team practices are held during the evenings in-week (Monday-Thursday) and Sundays.
Just a little bit of math is needed.
We’re going into the 2019-2020 season. Just take the second of those numbers (2020) and subtract from it your year of birth. So, if you were born in 2002, you would be 2020 – 2002 = 18U.
Where there are multiple teams in a given age division, they will be divided into "A" and "B" teams, where applicable. Information on team composition and competitive strategies will be provided at tryouts by the Head Coaches.
For teams and athletes to compete at their highest level, off-court physical training is highly recommended. Competitive teams at the 16U, 17U and 18U level will be expected to participate in team training, and a list of Board approved training facilities/ trainers will be provided to your Head Coach. For all other teams, decisions about participating in physical training will be made on an individual team basis, in consultation with the coaches and parent group.
Most teams will conduct extra classroom sessions for video review, statistical review, or post-competition team meetings, again depending on the age group and competitive level. Classroom sessions are typically scheduled for immediately before or after regular practice sessions.
FCVC provides an excellent experience for its athletes at an extremely competitive price.
2019-2020 Competitive Team Fees
- Girls 12U - $500
- Boys and Girls 13U & 14U - $850
- Boys and Girls 15U, 16U & 17U - $1,100
- Boys and Girls 18U - $1,150
Please note: Boys and Girls "Green" teams at 16U, 17U, 18U will be expected to participate in off-court physical training, at extra cost.
All other athletes/teams will decide on physical training once the team is selected, based on discussions between coaches and the parent group. Off-court physical training will be available to these teams, but it is NOT necessarily mandatory to participate on these teams.
The FCVC registration fee covers the following:
- OVA registration costs
- All on-court practice costs
- 12U, 13U, 14U: 2 in-week practices per week, with occasional Sunday practices
- 15U-18U: 2 in-week practices, 1 Sunday practice per week
- All costs associated with regular in-age OVA tournaments, excluding athlete travel and hotel costs
- 12U - 17U: 4 tournaments and Provincial Championships
- 18U: 5 tournaments and Provincial Championships
- All uniform costs
- Girls 12U: 1 uniform t-shirt, volleyball shorts, 2 practice shirts, warm up long sleeve, hoodie
- 13U, 14U: 1 uniform jersey, volleyball shorts, 2 practice shirts, warm up long sleeve, hoodie
- 15U, 16U, 17U, 18U: 2 uniform jerseys, volleyball shorts, 2 practice shirts, warm up long sleeve, hoodie
- Any extra Sunday Clinic Sessions organized by the FCVC VP of Volleyball
The following costs are NOT included in the FCVC registration fee. Extra fees or team fundraising responsibilities will be required if the team participates in the following:
- Older-age OVA tournaments and Provincials
- Other exhibition tournaments
- National Championships
- Off-court physical training programs
We believe that athletes should feel confident and comfortable in their decision to play for FCVC:
- For over 25 years, FCVC has successfully developed volleyball athletes and teams, winning multiple national and provincial championships, and graduating more than 200 athletes to play at the post-secondary level and beyond.
- FCVC has a large group of talented, experienced and dedicated volunteer coaches. Combined our coaching staff have well over 250 years of experience, and have coached at the national, provincial, regional, university, college, club, high school and elementary school levels.
- Athletes at FCVC have access to top-flight training facilities, equipment and technology to help them develop their volleyball skills.
- Current member of Canada’s Senior Men’s National Team, T.J. Sanders, reflected on his time with FCVC:All of the coaches, administration, and anyone that plays a part in FCVC are trained and more than willing to help you become a better player. I am so proud to be an FCVC alumni and am grateful to have had all the amazing coaches and teammates along the way.
Competitive Team tryouts take place in September. FCVC offers teams from 12U - 18U Girls and 13U - 18U Boys. Schedule and registration link can be found here.
If you have missed the tryouts and would like to inquire about the possibility of a late tryout, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We sometimes leave spots open - especially at the youngest ages - for athletes who miss the tryout period.
If you have any questions about tryouts, please contact us at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you there!
If for any valid reason, an athlete misses any tryout session, please notify the Registrar or our VP Volleyball. If the athlete misses a second or subsequent tryout session, please contact the Head Coach of that specific team to determine if there could be another time available for assessment; the Head Coach has final say in these matters, they are not obligated in any way to provide additional assessment time.
If there is a conflict between another Club’s tryout and ours, we recommend that you inform us in advance and we will help you work out any such conflicts to create a solution that maximizes the options for the athlete.
If you have any more questions about playing for FCVC, we would love to hear from you.
FCVC has been a registered not-for-profit business since its inception. Our Executive, Board of Directors and all our coaches are volunteers who donate their time because of their love of the game. Coaches have their travel expenses reimbursed and receive a yearly honorarium.
The people behind the Forest City Volleyball Club are here to provide excellent volleyball development and training to our London and area athletes!
Coaching requirements at the club level are an ever-changing and dynamic. Any interested individuals can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more. It's both a commitment and a rewarding and fun experience.
We'd love to hear from you!!